Dark side made me do it

Dark side made me do it

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Rollercoaster

The Rollercoaster

This week was like being on a rollercoaster, lots of ups and a few downs and it felt like I was going 100 miles an hour and I did something I never thought would ever do. I learned a lot this week, a lot about my body, my endurance, my diet, and my wife.

My wife

Let’s start with Kristy first, most of you know Kristy went into the hospital to have surgery to receive a lap band on Friday. Kristy called it a gift, now I must say before she began this journey to receive the lap band I would agree it with her it is a gift. That is far, very far from the truth. I think a gift is given to you, this was not a gift. It was a lot of very hard work; it started with classes and end with what I can only call the toughest, most restrictive diet I have ever seen. Now I knew wife was a strong woman, hell she lives with me, but I never thought she was that strong! She tackled that diet head on, when she first told me about the diet I wish I could say I knew she would do as well as she did, but I know there is no way I could have done it. As she did the diet for the 3 weeks I thought for sure she would have to cut out or at least cut back her Personal Training. No she kept going, no those are not the right words, and she did amazing! Training, Kickboxing, the bike, yoga, she pushed hard. The day before her surgery she was RUNNING STAIRS in her training session, after 3 weeks of only 900 calories, she ran the stairs. The day of her surgery she went into Alive for her training session at 7am. Yeah I would say she worked really hard for that so called Gift. I am so proud of her!! What she did is amazing!!

My Body and my diet

As always Damir kicked my ass this week, my workouts were not as routine this week as I like. I missed Monday with a migraine, so I start off way out of my normal routine. Tuesday Damir had Ryan and I do a circuit of weight training, it was a good session, however I would have to say only I could find a way to get one of my boys caught between a box step and a 16kg kettle bell. So let’s say the rest of the session I may have been walking funny. Wednesday I did kickboxing boot camp, it was a great class, and Lisa was there, so it was nice to have one of my regular partners to workout with. During boot camp I was called out a little, when we were doing mountain climbers Damir yelled “ if you are doing this to try and lose weight you need to be going faster” was not sure it was directed at me, but during the next set it was confirmed, as I started to do them he yelled Again but this time he made it clear who he was talk to “ come on Brian we went through this last time... move faster.....Thank you” Thursday I was late for my session as I had to work a little later and I missed my bus. When I did finally get it was the kind of workout I love weights and cardio. After my session I walked on the treadmill for an hour. Friday I went in a 7am with Kristy and I did the running program Damir made me on the hamster wheel.

Thursday was also weighed in day, I was sure that in the last two weeks I lost a good amount of weight. I knew this week was not awesome but last week was very, very good, it was a high cardio week. So I stepped on the scale and I did not lose anything, in fact I gained one pound. I was a little upset, I could not figure out what I did wrong. Holly, Kristy and Kim tried to calm me down, but I was not in a place to listen. On Friday I got off the hamster wheel and I grabbed the scale, Ben and Kristy were talking and Ben said something about the scale to me as I grabbed it, I not sure what it was but it calmed me down about my gain and as I walked to the locker room to shower and weigh myself again, it made me feel that if I weigh the same I must own that weight and look at my food and exercise log and figure out where I made an error. Yes the scale stopped right on 385, so I need to own that gain. When I got home after Kristy surgery, I looked at my log and I think I may have found my error. I will give my log to holly on Monday to confirm what I am thinking is my error.

My Endurance

Saturday morning I went to Alive and did Damir kickboxing class, now some of you may be thinking what the hell, Kristy is in the hospital and you went kickboxing instead of going to sit with her. Well if you know my wife you will understand, she wanted my ass at that class. In fact her last words before I left the hospital Friday night were”you better be at kickboxing in the morning”. Now I can say it was the best class I have done in a long time, not because Damir had awesome combos, which he did, not because it was a very full class, which it was. It was because my stress was all gone, and the drills in between combo seemed easier ,I did burpees with ease, the mountain climbers I was moving my legs so fast, Damir did not need to call me out, Damir even through in one of my favourites, the inch worm. It rocked!! After kickboxing I rested for 30mins and after that I did Ben Awesome boot camp, when you do Ben’s boot camp you never know what crazy thing he is going to put in there. Once he had us lift the steps we were using for step up over our heads and squat, like Rocky did with the giant pole in Rocky 4! Sometimes he will put in kickboxing as a treat! It is not all just step up step down; however there seems to be a lot of steps. This week we did some kickboxing in the class and that was very cool. Ash was my partner, and he is awesome, he works very hard. Ben’s class goes so fast, and the great thing is I have a better range of motion so I am able to do most of things in his class without modifying a lot. The best thing is that my endurance is there were I can do two classes on a Saturday morning.

2 comments:

  1. It was a Chicken Wrap, Brian. NOT a A+ choice for sure. Both of us had not eaten in well over 6 hours and the hospital cafeteria was closed. We made a choice and have to OWN it. It was a one time thing buddy but we did it together!
    The total calories were 660 with 32 g of fat. So it was not a good choice, it would be more like a D- choice. So what we learned from this is exactly about making the right choice no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was 10 at night, and Holly was tired and exhausted and hadn't eaten. She was giving Brian a ride home, saving him about $70 in taxi fare and stopped for a snack. McDonalds or Tim Hortons were the only choices. Brian happened to be along for the ride this was in no way a test or anything other than Holly stopping for a chicken wrap.

    ReplyDelete